The Norwegian Atlantic Committee in cooperation with the Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian Embassies in Oslo has the great pleasure of inviting you to a seminar on Nordic-Baltic Security in light of the changing security dynamics in our region.
The accession of Finland and Sweden into NATO changes the security situation strategically in the Baltic Sea Region, as well as in the Barents Sea Region. For the Baltic States, it offers better assurance that NATO is indeed capable of defending the Baltic States when the need arises. For the Nordic countries, it means that cooperation can be brought to another level by improving and optimizing current and new security and defence structures.
The seminar will shed light on the following questions:
- What does NATO enlargement mean for the Nordic-Baltic strategic environment as well as for security and defence cooperation?
- From a security and defence policy perspective, how do we maximize the benefits of enlargement for both the Nordic and the Baltic countries?
- Do we see a surge in Nordic-Baltic cooperation, along with invigorated Nordic security and defence cooperation?
- What is the Norwegian take on all of this?
Welcome by Kate Hansen Bundt, Secretary General, The Norwegian Atlantic Committee
Political panel: Strategic Outlook
- Keynote address - Ms. Ine Eriksen Søreide, Chair of The Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence, Member of the Conservative Party, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Defence
- Ms. Gunda Reire, Parliamentary Secretary, Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ms. Ieva Gajauskaitė, Associate Professor, Global Politics Research Team, General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy, Lithuania
- Mr. Svein Efjestad, senior adviser at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs. He has had a long and distinguished career in the Norwegian Ministry of Defence (1981-2022).
Moderated by Kate Hansen Bundt, Secretary General, The Norwegian Atlantic Committee
Defence implications & opportunities
- Lieutenant General (ret.) Rune Jakobsen, former Chief of the Norwegian Joint Headquarters and Chief of the Norwegian Army
- Mr. Madis Roll, Head of NATO and EU Department, Estonian Ministry of Defence
- Mr. Karsten Friis, senior research fellow, research group on security and defence, The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
Moderated by Lieutenant General (ret.) Arne Bård Dalhaug, senior adviser, The Norwegian Atlantic Committee