Program 2005PROGRAMME FOR THE NORWEGIAN ATLANTIC COMMITTEE'S
40TH ANNUAL LEANGKOLLEN CONFERENCE
31 JANUARY - 1 FEBRUARY 2005
Monday 31 January at 1000 sharp:
The opening of the conference will as in previous years take place at the Norwegian Nobel Institute, Drammensveien 19. Speakers at the opening are:
- Alv Jakob Fostervoll, County Governor and Chairman of the Norwegian Atlantic Committee:
Words of welcome.
- Jørgen Kosmo, President of the Norwegian Parliament, will speak about
"What are the strategic challenges faced by Norway in the years to come?"
- Jonas Gahr Støre, Secretary General of The Norwegian Red Cross, will speak about
"In the new types of conflict we face, how to define and defend the humanitarian space?"
The participants will travel to the Leangkollen Conference Centre in Asker (Bleikeråsen 215, 1370 Asker). Buses will be available for those who have requested transportation.
A buffet lunch will be served upon arrival, before the conference continues at 1330
- Sir Peter Ricketts, UK Permanent Representative to NATO will be the main speaker on the theme:
"How, in the new political environment, can we reinforce the consensus building capabilities of NATO in harmony with the EU."
- Ambassador Kai Eide, Norwegian Permanent Representative to NATO.
- Mr Ed Kronenburg, Director Private Office, NATO.
- Professor Janne Haaland Matlary, University of Oslo.
- Senior Researcher Helene Sjursen, University of Oslo
- Professor Mads Berdal, Kings College, UK (tbc).
The session will finish at 1615, after which the bus will return to Oslo at 1630
Tuesday 1 February
0800: Bus for Leangkollen departing from Oslo Town Hall, Fridtjof Nansens plass.
0830-1030: Where is Putin's Russia going?
- Professor Tatyana Parkhalina, Inion Moscow, Russia.
- Mr Hans Christian Dall Nygård, Investment Banker, Norum Invest St. Petersburg.
- Researcher, Julie Wilhelmsen, NUPI (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs).
- Researcher, Morten Jeppesen, FFI (Norwegian Defence Research Establishment).
- Researcher Geir Flikke, NUPI.
1030: Coffee break
1100-1230: Work on Terrorism.
- Representative from UK JTAC (Joint Terrorism Analyses Centre).
"How to improve the exchange of intelligence"
- Deputy Director, Tom Sanderson, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), USA.
"How to make research more accessible and open source information more available?"
- Researcher, Morten Bremer Mærli, NUPI (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs).
- Research assistant, Anders Grindlia Romarheim, NUPI.
- Head of Foreign News Section, Ole Berthelsen, Nettavisen TV2.
1345: Bus departing for Oslo